Score: Emerson 97, Wheaton (Mass.) 83
Records: Emerson Lions (11-6, 4-2 NEWMAC) ; Wheaton (Mass.) Lyons (5-11, 0-6 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, January 25, 2020
The Lead: Four members of the Lions, including senior Jack O'Connor, sophomores Jarred Houston and Zach Waterhouse and freshman James Beckwith, notched double figures in the Emerson men's basketball team's 97-83 victory over Wheaton (Mass.) on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Points: O'Connor (24), Beckwith (19), Waterhouse (17) & Houston (15)
Assists: Waterhouse (5)
Rebounds: O'Connor (6)
Steals: Beckwith & Ben Holding (1)
Blocks: O'Connor, Houston & Stephen Fabrizio (1)
Points: Robby Lowey (22) & Alex Carlisle (15)
Assists: Aaron Williams (8)
Rebounds: Alex DuBrow (3)
Steals: Evan Cook (2)
Blocks: DuBrow & Lowey (1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wheaton used the three-pointer with a pair by Robby Lowey gain an early four point lead over Emerson and were able to keep the Lions within four until 13:33 when two quick buckets by Waterhouse and junior Jack Healy pushed the hosts back in front by one (14-13).
- After Healy's triple, Emerson extended its edge up to five (20-15) at the 10 minute mark only to have Wheaton answer on its end with a 7-2 spurt to knot the score at 22-all.
- The Lyons once again locked the game over a minute later at 24, threes by Beckwith and O'Connor began and ended an extensive 13-3 spurt as Emerson now held a 10-point advantage (37-27).
- A trip to the charity stripe put the hosts up 11, its biggest lead over the Lyons in the half, and entered halftime with a seven-point cushion over the visiting Lyons (42-35).
- For the opening seven minutes of the second frame, the score margin remained in single digits until the Emerson offense went on a tear starting at 12:56 with an 11-3 streak to balloon its lengthy advantage up to 16 (66-50).
- It was at 9:27 that Wheaton inched back within 12 of Emerson, which was the closest the Lyons would come to the hosts after O'Connor snagged a rebound and took it to the other side for a three-point bucket for the 18 point lead. (89-71).
- Emerson lifted its ballooned lead into the 20s and cruised to the 97-83 win.
- Emerson makes a trip out to Babson for a quick road stint on Wednesday, January 29 at 7:00 p.m.
- Wheaton (Mass.) returns home for action on Wednesday as well to host Coast Guard at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS