Score: Emerson 54, MIT 44
Records: Emerson Lions (9-5 2-1 NEWMAC) ; MIT Engineers (8-6, 1-2 NEWMAC)
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
Date: Wednesday, January 15, 2020
The Lead: It was a win over at the Cage for the Emerson men's basketball team behind a 16-point night from senior Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) alongside a double-double effort of 13 points and and 12 boards by sophomore Jarred Houston (Norwood, Mass.) to push the Lions to a 54-44 NEWMAC triumph over MIT on Wednesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Points: O'Connor (16) & Houston (13)
Assists: O'Connor (3)
Rebounds: Houston (12)
Steals: Trevor McLean & O'Connor (3)
Blocks: Houston (4)
Points: Matas Masys (14)
Assists: Kael Kordonowy & Christien Williams (2)
Rebounds: Ian Hinkley (12)
Steals: Tim Kostonlansky, Masys & Muna Nwana (1)
Blocks: Hinkley, Dan Pilsbury & Nwana (1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson got off to a fast start and kept MIT to a seven-point deficit with 12:57 left in the opening half at 17-10 before the Engineers embarked on a quick 7-0 spurt to knot the game as Masys knocked down a triple.
- The Lions found themselves falling behind and suddenly trailed by six (32-26) at the 3:57 mark before the half's end on another three by Masys, yet the visitors overcame the six-point margin to bang out a 10-2 run as the score held at 36-all to wrap the first frame.
- Emerson held MIT scoreless within the first 9:44 minutes of the second stanza before a jumper pulled the Engineers within eight (46-38).
- O'Connor connected on a jumper to push Emerson's lead into double figures at 48-38 before MIT erased the lead down to six with 5:17 left on the clock (48-42).
- Strong defense by the Lions was able to contain the Engineers and hold the hosts over the remaining five minutes to seal the 10-point triumph.
- Emerson returns back home for a NEWMAC Semifinal rematch against the No. 19 Springfield on Saturday, January 18 at 3:00 p.m.
- MIT treks to Wheaton (Mass.) for Saturday NEWMAC action as well with a 1:00 p.m. tip-off.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS