Score: Emerson 99, Worcester State 69
Records: Emerson Lions (1-0) ; Worcester State Lancers (1-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, November 9, 2019
The Lead: Paced by an overall game high 20 points by sophomore Nate Martin (Washington D.C.), the Emerson men's basketball team put up an impressive season home opening 99-69 victory over Worcester State on Saturday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Martin - 20 points
Trevor McLean - 14 points
Jack O'Connor & Jarred Houston - 13 points
James Beckwith - 12 points
O'Connor & James Beckwith - 3 steals
Houston - 6 rebounds, 2 blocks
Chad DiCenzo - 7 assists
Zion Hendrix - 13 points
Erik Bjorn - 6 rebounds
Tyler Dion & Chris Cardoso - 2 assists & 2 steals apicece
Cardoso - 3 blocks
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson bursted out the gate to begin the first half behind McLean's jumper and pair of triples to push the Lions to an eight point lead at 17:09 before Worcester State got on the board on a three by Cal Howes (8-3).
- The Lions could not connect on its next four shots and allowed the Lancers to come within a pair after a Chris Cardoso three (12-10).
- Erik Bjorn's layup kept the visitors within a pair (14-12), which is the closest they would come as the hosts pieced together 15-0 spurt and the lead pushed into double figures at 17 (29-12).
- Martin nailed a jumper at 7:42 to begin a 10-6 run by the home team deep in the half and was capped off by a deep triple by O'Connor at 4:42 (39-18).
- The duo of O'Connor and Martin combined for Emerson's final 10 points as the hosts entered the half with a commanding 49-28 lead.
- A strong Emerson defensive showing through the opening six minutes of the second half only allowed Worcester State five points and rung off 16 points, including seven by Houston and six from Martin (65-33) at the 13:47 mark.
- Emerson was able to keep Worcester State within 30+ points through the remainder of regulation and ran away with the 99-69 season opening victory.
- Emerson takes to the road for the first time of 2019 out at Gordon on Tuesday, November 12 at 7:00 p.m.
- Worcester State stays on the road on Wednesday, November 15 at Williams at 6:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS