Score: Emerson 9, Lasell 8
Records: Emerson Lions (3-8) ; Lasell Lasers (2-3)
Pitching Records: WP: Bryan Simmons-Hayes (2-0) | LP: Zach Handzel (1-2)
Location: Danvers, Mass. (Pete Frates Diamond at St. John's Prep)
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2020
The Lead: With runners on first and third with one out, freshman Matt Nachamie (Merrick, N.Y.) snuck the game-winning single into left as the Emerson baseball team exploded for a five-run ninth to push the Lions past Lasell, 9-8, on Wednesday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Thai Morgan: 4-for-5, two runs scored, one RBI
Quinton Copeland: 2-for-4, three-run homer, stolen base, two runs scored & five RBIs
Nachamie: 2-for-4, one RBI
Cam Beattie: 2-for-4, solo homer, one run scored & one RBI
Joe Paladino: 1-for-5, two runs scored
Andre Padovani: one RBI
Josh Cohen: 1-for-3, one run scored
Pitching: Jack Fox (ND) - 6.1 innings, eight hits, six runs (four earned), four walks & five strikeouts
Michael Logerwell - 1.0 innings, three hits, two runs & one strikeout
Simmons-Hayes (W, 2-0) - 1.2 innings
Wyatt Sihvonen: 3-for-5, triple, two runs scored, stolen base & one RBI
Matt Motyka: 2-for-3, stolen base, two runs scored
Harrison Silva: 2-for-4, one run scored, two stolen bases, one RBI
Brian Cipolla: 1-for-5, double, three RBIs
Pitching: Chris O'Connor (ND) - 3.0 innings, four hits, three runs & one walk
Patrick Colvin - 5.0 innings, four hits, one run & two strikeouts
Leo Frisella - 0.0 innings, one hit, three runs (two earned)
Handzel (L, 1-2) - three hits, two runs, one walk
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Copeland watched as his three-run bomb sailed over the left field fence to give Emerson a quick 3-0 cushion over Lasell in the first frame.
- Two innings of scoreless ball passed until Lasell pulled within one in the fourth after Motyka stole home on a passed ball followed by a fielder's choice that allowed Silva to plate the second Lasers run. (3-2)
- Lasell leveled the score at 3-all in the next inning when Motyka batted an RBI single into left to bring in Sihvonen.
- After Emerson used the home run in the first inning, Beattie took Colvin deep and rocketed a solo homer into left for the Lions second bomb of the game to regain a one-run edge. (4-3)
- The Lasers were able to spread five runs through the seventh and eight frames and upped its advantage to 8-4.
- An RBI single into left by Silva followed by Cipolla's two-RBI two bagger into deep left propelled Lasell to a two-run lead in the seventh (6-4) followed by a triple and sacrifice fly in the eighth to up the Lasers' lead to four.
- Costly Lasell mishaps allowed Emerson to stuff the bases with no outs as the bottom of the ninth began with Morgan's RBI single to the shortstop to plate Cohen. (8-5)
- Copeland came in clutch with the bases still juiced and brought in both sophomore Rory Tettemer and Paladino after his two-run single ricocheted off the pitcher's foot into the outfield. (8-7)
- The first out of the inning came on Padovani's grounder to the shortstop, but it was enough to cross Morgan for the 8-8 equalizer.
- With runners now on first and third and one out, Nachamie smacked his game-winner just in between the shortstop and third to bring home Copeland for the winning 9-8 run.
- Emerson wraps its week at home with its first doubleheader of the season on Saturday, March 14 against Pine Manor starting at 12:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS