Score: Chatham 4, Emerson 2
Records: Emerson Lions (1-3) ; Chatham Cougars (1-0)
Pitching Records: WP: Connor Paul (1-0) ; LP: Jack Fox (0-1) | S: Erik Napolitano (1)
Location: Orlando, Florida (Lake Myrtle Complex)
Date: Sunday, March 1, 2020
The Lead: Three batters registered two hits, including freshman Matt Nachamie (Merrick, N.Y.) with a solo homer, as the Emerson baseball team fell to Chatham, 4-2, in its first spring break game on Sunday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
George Cedeno - 1-for-4, one run scored, two RBIs
Brandon Griener - 1-for-3, double, one RBI
Pitching: Paul (1-0) - 5.1 innings, six hits, one run, one walk & three strikeouts
Napolitano - 3.2 innings, three hits, one run, one walk & three strikeouts
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After three innings of scoreless ball, Nachamie took Paul deep with the long ball into the left and gave Emerson a 1-0 lead at the end of the fourth frame.
- Chatham came up with a big fifth and crossed all four of its runs to push past Emerson, 4-1.
- Cedeno smacked a two-run single into right to plate both Ryan Shawley and Owen Kravetz followed by an error and double into left bringing in the next pair of runs.
- Emerson made its way back onto the board in the home half of the eighth when Beattie reached on a mishap at second to score Davolio and cut the score in half, 4-2.
- The ninth inning saw Emerson put two runners on thanks to back-to-back no-out singles from freshman Thai Morgan and senior Joe Paladino, but the Lions were retired in order on a play at third, line out and ground out to second.
- Emerson continues action down in Florida on Monday, March 2 against Neumann in Winter Haven at 3:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS