Score: New England College 7, Emerson 5
Records: Emerson Lions (1-2) ; New England College Pilgrims (1-0)
Pitching Records: WP: Sean Cormier (1-0) ; LP: AJ Ortega (0-2)
Location: Danvers, Mass. (Pete Frates Diamond)
Date: Thursday, February 27, 2020
The Lead: Junior Andre Padovani led the Emerson baseball team with a 3-for-4 day at the plate, but the Lions comeback was cut short and shouldered the 7-5 setback to New England College in seven innings as the game was called due to darkness on Thursday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Padovani: 3-for-4, one RBI
Ryan McCahan: 2-for-4, one run scored
Cam Beattie: 2-for-3, one run scored, one RBI
Joe Paladino: 1-for-5, one run scored, one RBI
Matt Nachamie: 1-for-4, one run scored, one RBI
Quinton Copeland: 1-for-3, one run scored, one RBI
Pitching: Ortega (0-2) - 4.0 innings, six hits, six runs (four earned), five walks & five strikeouts
Bryan Simmons-Hayes - 3.0 innings, one hit, one run & five strikeouts
NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE
BJ Minarcin: 2-for-5, two runs scored, two stolen bases & one RBI
Joe Maestu: 1-for-4, double & three RBI
Jameson Carey: 2-for-4, one run scored
Pitching: Dylan Champagne - 2.0 innings, five hits, four runs (three earned), two walks & three strikeouts
Cormier (1-0) - 5.0 innings, six hits, one run & eight strikeouts
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson struck first in its home half of the first frame when Beattie slapped a two-out RBI single into the right center gap to bring in Paladino to give the Lions a 1-0 lead.
- New England College used the top of the second to do a large chunk of its scoring and crossed six runs to put the Lions in a 6-1 deficit.
- The Pilgrims' first pair of runs plated on back-to-back RBI singles into right by Minarcin and Connor Morin before a bases loaded walk, single and error put the remaining four runs on the board.
- Down five runs after two, the Lions went on to spread three more runs within the second and third frames to put the score at 6-4.
- The first of three Emerson runs plated in the home half of the second behind a Pilgrims' mishap at first followed by a two-run third on an RBI single by Padovani and Nachamie reaching on a fielder's choice.
- Two innings passed with the score held at 6-4 until a passed ball allowed Luis Atiles to come home for the seventh NEC run in the top of the fifth.
- Copeland batted an RBI single into center to bring in sophomore Rory Tettemer and pulled Emerson back within a pair at 7-5.
- Emerson put two runners on second and third with two outs in the bottom of the seventh frame on two consecutive singles by freshman Thai Morgan and Padovani, yet were unable to cross either run home as a strikeout wrapped the 7-5 setback.
- Emerson head down to Florida for the first game of its spring break trip with a meeting against Chatham on Saturday, March 1 at 5:30 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS