Score: Emerson 10, Rivier 8
Records: Emerson Lions (1-1) ; Rivier Raiders (0-1)
Pitching Records: WP: Bryan Simmons-Hayes (1-0) ; LP: Corey Cochran (0-1)
Location: Malden, Mass. (Maplewood Park)
Date: Sunday, February 23, 2020
The Lead: A 4-for-4 day at the plate for freshman Thai Morgan (Waldwick, N.J.) followed by a solo bomb from freshman Matt Nachamie (Merrick, N.Y.) and the deciding three-run blast by sophomore Quinton Copeland (Houston, Tex.) rocketed the Emerson baseball team to a 10-8 victory over Rivier, its first of 2020, on Sunday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Morgan: 4-for-4, two doubles, two runs scored & two RBI
Joe Paladino: 2-for-4, triple & three RBI
Ryan McCahan: 2-for-5, double, one run scored & one RBI
Copeland: 1-for-4, three-run homer, one run scored & three RBI
Nachamie: 2-for-3, homer, one run scored & one RBI
Pitching: Johnny Maffei - 5.2 innings, seven hits, three runs (two earned), one walk & three strikeouts
Simmons-Hayes (1-0) - 1.1 innings, one hit, zero runs & zero walks
Dillon Brady: 1-for-3, three RBI
Fred Kazalski: 2-for-4, one RBI
Tyler Jackson: 2-for-4, double & one run scored
Corey Cochran: 1-for-3, double, two runs scored & one RBI
Devin Albino: 1-for-4, two runs scored & one RBI
Zach White: 1-for-4, one run scored & one RBI
Pitching: Ryan Schafer - 2.1 innings, seven hits, five runs, three walks & one strikeout
Cochran (0-1) - 1.0 innings, three hits & three runs
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Emerson missed a chance to get on the board in its half of the first, Rivier used a two-RBI single by Brady to score both Jackson and Albino to give the Raiders an early 2-0 edge in the top of the second.
- Emerson put up a four-run bottom of the second to jump ahead of Rivier, 4-2.
- Morgan knocked in the first Emerson run on an RBI single into left that scored Hatch and was followed up with some insurance help on a two-RBI three bagger by Paladino and RBI single by McCahan.
- White batted an RBI single up the middle to bring Rivier within one run at 4-3 before Emerson tagged on another run thanks to another RBI single from Morgan with the Lions now ahead, 5-3, in the bottom of the third.
- Morgan drove a one out double into left that helped set up another Emerson run when Paladino brought in Morgan on his RBI single that flew down the left field line as the Lions lead 6-3 after five.
- Emerson used the long ball to extend its lead to four in the seventh frame when Nachamie took White deep over the left field fence for his first career homer. (7-3)
- A single, a bases loaded hit by pitch and two walks cost Emerson its four-run edge as Rivier put together a five-run eighth to jump in front of the Lions, 8-7.
- With no outs and two runners on the bags, Copeland welcomed Cochran into the game with a three-run bomb into left that gave Emerson the boost it needed with the lead back on their side, 10-8, in the bottom of the eighth.
- Despite allowing a one-out single to Conor Dines to start off the ninth, Simmons-Hayes got Rivier to ground into a game-ending double play to secure the 10-8 Lions win.
- Emerson takes to the field on Thursday, February 27 when they host New England College at 3:30 p.m.
- Rivier face Vassar over at Trinity College on Saturday, February 29 at 11:00 a.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS