Score: Emerson 5, Clark 2
Records: Emerson Lions (5-20 / 1-9 NEWMAC) ; Clark Cougars
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Granger Field)
Date: Tuesday, April 9, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson baseball smacked seven hits, including freshman Quinton Copeland's (Houston, Texas) first collegiate home run, to propel the Lions to its first NEWMAC victory in a 5-2 win over Clark on Tuesday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Copeland: 1-for-1, home run, two runs scored, one RBI
CJ Rogers: 2-for-5, double, one RBI
Andre Padovani: 2-for-4, double, one run scored
Louie Davolio: 1-for-4, one RBI
Joe Colucci: 1-for-4
Pitching: Fox - 5.0 innings, two hits, one run, three walks, eight strikeouts
Zach Kelley: 2-for-3, double, one RBI
Derek Lefebvre: 2-for-3, double
Chris Radovic: 1-for-4, one run scored, one RBI
Kyle Shaw: 1-for-4
Pitching: Shaw - 4.2 innings, four hits, two runs (one earned), three walks, six strikeouts
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With two outs in the top of the first frame, Emerson knocked in its first run when Davolio singled into right field to bring in sophomore Ryan McCahan (San Diego, Calif.) for the early 1-0 lead.
- Clark responded in its half of the first with Kelley roping a double down the left field line to score Andrew Thibault with the score knotted at 1-1.
- It was the top of fourth that Emerson used to etch two more runs onto the board on a passed ball followed by Copeland taking Shaw deep for a lead-off homer, his first of the season and collegiate career (3-1).
- Radovic answered with a home run that sailed over the left field fence to bring Clark back within one at 3-2 in the bottom half of the seventh inning.
- Emerson iced the deal with two more runs in the top of the ninth on an RBI single into left by Rogers that plated Padovani alongside a miscue by the third baseman that allowed Cohen to cross home.
- Emerson welcomes Wheaton (Mass.) in on Friday, April 12 for the start of a weekend series at 3:30 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS