Score: Emerson 7, Coast Guard 1
Records: Emerson Lions (5-8, 1-2 NEWMAC) ; Coast Guard Bears (6-5, 0-2 NEWMAC)
Pitching Decision: W - Jack Fox (1-2) | L - PJ Gravalec (1-1)
Location: New London, Conn. (Nitchman Field)
Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2018
The Lead: Sophomore Jack Fox (Los Angeles, Calif.) took a no-hitter all the way into the top of the ninth inning as his complete game outing of two hits, one run and four strikeouts propelled the Emerson baseball team to its first NEWMAC win of 2018 and took down Coast Guard 7-1 on Tuesday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
IN THE BOX
- Five different Lions each recorded one single and six with one RBI each with senior Tim Quitadamo (Worcester, Mass.) plating a pair of runs.
- Will Stephens and Luke Thompson got the lone two hits off Fox with Stephens also collecting one RBI.
ON THE MOUND
- Fox, who improves to 1-2, spread two hits, one hit, a pair of walks and four punch outs within a nine-inning complete game outing.
- Gravalec took the loss for Coast Guard as he surrendered three hits and allowed two earned runs to cross through his six inning effort on the bump while he sent seven Lions down on strikes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both Fox and Gravalec embarked in a pitcher's duel as neither team were able to collect a hit within the first four frames and the game was scoreless after five.
- The first pair of runs came in the fifth when freshman John Gabert's (Bedford, N.H.) RBI single made its way into center followed by sophomore Joe Cuccio's (Jefferson, N.J.) sacrifice fly into center that gave the Lions a 2-0 lead.
- Emerson broke the game wide open and used a five-run eighth to balloon its lead to 7-1, starting with sophomore Cam Beattie (Gilbert, Az.) and junior CJ Rogers (Guilford, Conn.) each drawing walks with the bases juiced to put the score at 4-0.
- With the bases still full of Lions, Quitadamo reached on a fielder's choice to drive in the fifth Emerson run before they capitalized on an error and later wrapped scoring on senior Neil Perry's (Middleboro, Mass.) RBI infield single to second.
- Thompson broke up Fox's no hitter with one out in the Bears' home half of the ninth as the hosts finally plated a run after Stephens' laced an RBI double into right to break the shutout.
- Emerson stays on the road come Friday, March 30 with a 4:00 p.m. slate at Fisher.
- Coast Guard will also be in action on Friday afternoon in a 3:30 p.m. rescheduled meeting with Castleton.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS