Score: Emerson 3, Curry 1 (25-11, 25-19, 21-25, 25-20)
Records: Emerson Lions (11-10, 2-6 NEWMAC) ; Curry Colonels (4-15, 0-4 CCC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Thursday October 11, 2018
The Lead: Three Lions including sophomores Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) and Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fla.) and senior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) racked up double figures in the kills column to lead the Emerson women's volleyball team to a 3-1 triumph over Curry in non conference play on Thursday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tepper paced the Emerson offense with 20 kills while Alexander followed with 12 and Guerra tallied 10, who also powered the defensive end with six blocks.
- Senior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) handed out a match high 45 assists and led the Lions on the line with four aces, while senior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) registered 13 digs.
- Lexi Pereira led Curry in kills at 18 and was joined by Amanda Wood (11) and Kaitlyn Giubbini (10), while Alexis Bell had 37 helpers to go with Jordyn Keith's match high seven aces and Colonels' leading 13 digs.
- Emerson tallied up a hit percentage of .328 on 51 total kills and Curry hit a mere .144 on 45 kills.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson held Curry to a mere .032 hitting percentage in the opening set to cruise to a 25-11 and a 1-0 match lead.
- Started off on an ace by Brennan, Emerson pieced together a lengthy 8-0 run to balloon the Lions to a nine point lead (12-3) before a kill from Pereira halted the streak.
- A pair of swings by Pereira got Curry within single digits of Emerson at eight (13-5), but the Lions answered with the set's next four points to bump their lead into double figures (17-5).
- Curry kept Emerson from closing the set as they used a kill by Amanda Wood and Lions attack error (24-11), but Tepper's swing was match point and sealed the set win.
- An early 5-0 streak gave Curry its biggest lead of the match to start off the second frame (7-2) and carried a three point advantage until Emerson stormed back to square the score at 9-all.
- The Colonels locked the score up one more time at 13-all before the hosts tallied the next five of six points to go up four (18-14).
- Kaitlyn Guibbini threw down a kill to keep Curry in reaching distance of one (19-18) before Emerson's offense set off with the frame's final six of seven points for the 25-19 win.
- Emerson carried a two point edge (11-9) into the midst of the third frame until Curry chiseled its way in front (16-9) and stayed in the lead before Brennan's ace put the Lions back within a trio (24-21).
- Pereira's kill gave Curry its first set win and to put the match at 2-1 in Emerson's favor.
- The fourth set saw the hosts jump out to a 4-0 lead over Curry and bumped the advantage to eight (12-4), yet the visitors were able to answer with seven of the next nine points to close within three (14-11).
- The Lions held on to a lead margin of three midway through the frame despite hitting a snag that allowed the Colonels to register a 4-1 streak to keep the set at 23-20.
- A kill by junior Jessica Braunstein (Demarest, N.J.) and Curry attack error were all Emerson needed to hold off the Colonels at 25-20.
- Emerson heads into road tri match play on Saturday, October 13 at Mass.-Dartmouth where they will also face Castleton at 2:00 and 4:00 p.m.
- Curry will also be in tri match action come Saturday and will play Anna Maria and Suffolk starting at 2:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS