Score: Wentworth 3, Emerson 0 (22-25, 15-25, 14-25)
Records: Emerson Lions (9-10, 1-6 NEWMAC) ; Wentworth Leopards (16-2, 4-0 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Friday, October 5, 2018
The Lead: Sophomore Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) racked up a team-best 13 kills for the Emerson women's volleyball team as the Lions were topped in straight sets by Wentworth in non conference play on Friday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- While Tepper registered double figures in the kills column, senior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) handed out a match high 26 assists and co lead with two aces along with senior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J).
- Cohen and freshman Lauren Quan (San Diego, Calif.) each record 11 digs and four Lions had one block assist each.
- Leah Rogoz tallied a match best 16 kills for Wentworth with 20 assists from Katie Clouse and 13 from Tomastik.
- Rogoz also paced the Leopards in two serves along with Lillie Clark and also had 14 digs, while Makenna Salsbury led both teams with four block assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson jumped ahead with the early 7-4 lead on a 5-0 streak and maintained a four point margin (15-11) after senior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) served an ace.
- With the Lions holding the four point lead at 19-15, Wentworth pieced together a 8-1 spurt to pull ahead by three (23-20) on a kill by Rogoz.
- The hosts put up the set's next two points on a swing by Cohen and inched within one (23-22) before Wentworth tacked on the match's final two scores on back to back kills from Rogoz (25-22).
- Wentworth held Emerson to hit a mere .027 in the second set and grabbed the 2-0 match lead in a 25-15 win.
- The Lions never held a lead in the second frame, yet managed to pull within a pair (12-10) when the Leopards committed a service error.
- Two was the closest Emerson would come to Wentworth as the Leopards grabbed a seven point lead (22-15) and used kills from Rogoz and Mary Zlotosch for the 25-15 win.
- The Leopards hit a blistering .519 in the third frame to cruise to a 25-14 triumph to take the match 3-0 over the Lions.
- Emerson continues its home stand with a NEWMAC contest against Smith on Tuesday, October 9 at 7:00 p.m.
- Wentworth travels to Rhode Island College on Tuesday, October 9 at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS