Match One Score: Amherst 3, Emerson 1 (17-25, 26-24, 19-25, 15-25)
Match Two Score: Emerson 3, Western New England 0 (25-21, 25-14, 26-24)
Records: Emerson Lions (6-1) ; Amherst Mammoths (3-0) ; Western New England Gold Bears (0-7)
Date: Saturday, September 8, 2018
Location: Springfield, Mass.
The Lead: Freshman Carolyn Vaimoso (Torrance, Calif.) racked up a pair of double-double to combine for 33 kills and 22 digs to help the Emerson women's volleyball team to a tri-match split this afternoon at the Western New England Invitational. The Lions started the day off with their first loss of 2018 to Amherst at 3-1 before picking up a straight sweep over the host Golden Bears to wrap the day.
MATCH ONE: Amherst 3, Emerson 1
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson got double-doubles from two Lions including Vaimoso, who recorded 16 kills and 10 digs to go with 10 digs and three block assists, as well as sophomore Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.), who put up 13 kills and 13 digs.
- Another leader on the stat sheet was senior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.), who had 40 assists to match 13 digs.
- Jamie Dailey racked up 28 kills and 14 digs to pace Amherst, while four other Mammoths totaled double digits in digs with a team high 24 from Skyleur Savage and Charlotte Duran recorded a double-double of 14 digs and 55 assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Amherst and Emerson exchanged the score throughout the opening of the first set, with the Lions knotting it at 10-all and again at 13-all.
- The Mammoths regained the 14-13 advantage and went on to tally the next 11 of 15 points to take the first frame 25-17.
- Emerson build an 11-6 lead to open the second set and led by as much as seven (18-11), but Amherst answered with a 7-2 run to pull within a pair at 20-18.
- The Lions clung onto a lead of two (23-21) until the Mammoths evened the score at 24-all on a swing by Cameron Hendricks, yet back to back kills from Vaimoso lifted the Lions to a 26-24 set win.
- After the score was even at 5-all in Amherst's favor, the Mammoths never surrendered the lead for the remainder of the third set to run away with the 25-18 win.
- Emerson held a lead five (7-2) over Amherst in the fourth before letting Amherst back into the set as the Mammoths kept the Lions within a margin of 10 to take the 25-15 set victory.
MATCH TWO: Emerson 3, Western New England 0
INSIDE THE NUMERS
- Vaimoso once again powered the Emerson offense with her second double-double of the day with 17 kills and 12 digs to go with a pair of aces.
- Tepper followed with 15 kills and served a pair of aces, while Brennan recorded 37 kills and two aces and senior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) co-led in the digs category with 12.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Western New England opened the first set with an early 4-0 streak as the hosts maintained a steady lead before Emerson knotted the score 12-all on a swing by Tepper.
- The Lions gained control deep into the set with the help of a 4-0 run that bumped their lead to 20-15 and eventually the 25-21 set win after the Golden Bears were unable to recover.
- A match-best .407 hit percentage with 15 kills and a mere four errors on 27 attacks allowed Emerson to cruise to a 25-14 in set two and took the 2-0 match lead.
- Emerson played comeback volleyball in the third set as Western New England posted a 17-12 lead over the visitors, but the Lions recovered with a 7-1 surge to even the score 20-all before they escaped the set with a 26-24 victory and match win.
- Emerson opens NEWMAC play on Tuesday, September 11 over at Wellesley at 7:00 p.m.
- Western New England heads to Elms College on Tuesday, September 11.
- Amherst begins NESCAC action on Friday, September 14 at Middlebury at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS