Score: WPI 3, Emerson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (6-5, 2-2 NEWMAC) ; WPI Engineers (9-4, 3-2 NEWMAC)
Date: Saturday, October 6, 2018
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
The Lead: Junior Veronica Alberts (Half Moon Bay, Calif.) registered a first half goal for the Emerson women's soccer team, but the visiting WPI Engineers used two goals deep in the second frame as the Lions were edged out 3-1 in conference action on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Alberts tallied a goal for Emerson with the assist credited to senior Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.).
- Freshman keeper Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.) shouldered the loss with seven stops and allowed three goals through 90 minutes in net.
- WPI saw goals from Kristen McCrea and a brace from Leah Beauton with the assists coming from Lauren Kaija and Sofia Orrico.
- Gabriella Hoops manned the goal for WPI and came away with a pair of stops in the win for the Engineers.
- Emerson held the 8-1 corner kick advantage, while WPI outshot Emerson 17-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED
6": After a short corner taken by Frost, she got the ball back and passed to Alberts who was at the edge of the 18. Alberts fired into the far post past Hoops to start the scoring early.
12": Kaija was played into space down the right flank, picked her head up and found an open McCrea at the top of the 18 who fired first time into the back of the net with her left foot to tie the game at 1-all.
82": Orrico sprinted down the left sideline, and found herself in a crossing position. She squared the ball to the of the 18 yard box where Beauton was. Beauton scuffed a shot, but the ball sailed into tenet just over the head of Rose.
83": Adding players to the attack, Emerson was exposed at the back which led to Beauton on a breakaway, who fired into the top right corner of the net from 25 yards out to give WPI the 3-1 lead.
- Emerson takes to the road on Tuesday, October 9 at Wheaton (Mass.) at 4:00 p.m.
- WPI hosts NEWMAC foe Mount Holyoke on Saturday, October 13 at 1:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS