Score: Wellesley 2, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (3-7-2, 3-3 NEWMAC) ; Wellesley Blue (4-8-2, 3-4 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Saturday, October 14, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson women's soccer team found themselves on the end of a 2-0 shutout backed by a pair of first half goals by the Wellesley Blue in NEWMAC women's soccer action on Saturday afternoon at Rotch Field.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson was outshot by Wellesley, 14-7, while the Lions held the 3-2 advantage in corner kicks.
- There were a total of 20 infractions committed with Wellesley committing 11 and Emerson on the end of nine.
- Junior Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) registered two shots consisting of two shots on goal.
- Senior net minder Laura Gartelman (Hamburg, N.Y.) started the first 73 minutes in net for Emerson and allowed both Wellesley goals with three saves, while freshman Mary Elizabeth Allen (Miami Shores, Fl.) finished out the final 17 minutes and turned away two shots.
- Kendall You Mak and Melise Knowles each notched unassisted nets for Wellesley.
- Olivia Reckley played the full 90 in between the pipes for the Blues and came away with two saves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wellesley used a pair of its six shots within the opening frame to put Emerson in a 2-0 deficit going into halftime.
- At the ninth minute mark, Gartelman was out of position and left the net wide open for You Mak to flick in the first goal for Wellesley and put the Blue up 1-0.
- Wellesley bumped their advantage to 2-0 within the 27th minute after Knowles fended off a defender up the middle and booted the ball past the dive of Gartelman.
- Emerson starts up a three-game NEWMAC road trip on Tuesday, October 17 and head down to Coast Guard for a 7:00 p.m. contest.
- Wellesley continues NEWMAC road action at Clark on Tuesday, October 17 as well that is slated for a 7:00 p.m. start.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's soccer team and follow the Lions on Twitter @emersonwsoccer and Facebook Emerson College Women's Soccer. Also be sure to tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!