Score: Smith 68, Emerson 59
Records: Emerson Lions (10-7, 4-4 NEWMAC) ; Smith Pioneers (12-5, 6-3 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, January 19, 2019
The Lead: Three members of the Emerson women's basketball team connected for 10+ points, including juniors Natalie Clydesdale (Pittsburgh, Penn.) and Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) along with sophomore Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.), as the Lions were upended in a 68-59 loss at Smith on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Clydesdale paced Emerson with 14 points to alongside seven boards, while Madden also chipped in 14 points and five rebounds and Boyle added 10 points with six rebounds.
- Katy McClellan banked an overall game-high 16 points for Smith and pulled down six rebounds, while Lauren Bondi recorded 14 points, four rebounds and a game-best four assists and Emma Seymour finished with 11 points off the bench.
- Emerson was 23-of-60 (38.3%) and connected with 6-of-18 from distance and Smith shot 24-of-52 (46.2%) on 5-of-11 (45.5%) from the perimeter.
- The Lions won the battle on the boards, 37-34.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening frame saw five lead changes before Smith was able to end the quarter on a 6-2 run as Dashelle Glessiner converted a layup with eight seconds to spare to give the hosts a 17-11 lead.
- A triple from Madden followed by a trey from senior Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England) knotted the game at 20-all with 6:48 on the clock.
- The teams traded off baskets for the remainder of the game as neither side held a lead larger than three points.
- A McClellan layup pushed Smith ahead by two (30-28) with 57 seconds left in the half as the Lions entered the break down by a pair.
- Emerson trailed by eight (45-37) on a jumper from Katelyn Pickunka, but were able to close within one (46-45) to wrap the third stanza.
- The Pioneers opened the fourth with a layup from Sydney Koh that kicked off a 5-0 stretch as the Lions found themselves down by its biggest deficit (54-45) with 6:26 in regulation.
- After sophomore Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.) knocked down a three, Smith ballooned the game to a 12-point lead (60-48) on another floater from Seymour.
- Emerson tacked on 11 more points, but was not enough for Smith put up another eight points to hand the Lions a 68-59 setback.
- Emerson returns to Brown & Plofker on Wednesday, January 23 to host Wheaton (Mass.) at 5:30 p.m.
- Smith takes a break from NEWMAC action to host Williams on Tuesday, January 22 at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS