Score: Emerson 87, Mount Holyoke 31
Records: Emerson Lions (10-13, 7-7 NEWMAC) ; Mount Holyoke Lyons (0-22, 0-14 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, February 10, 2018
The Lead: Leading the Lions with a season-best 17 points and matched a season five steals, putting her career total at 200, as the Emerson women's basketball team downed the visiting Mount Holyoke Lyons in a 87-31 NEWMAC slate on Saturday afternoon. Prior to today's contest, the Emerson women's basketball team honored its two seniors, Maya Savino (Killingworth, Conn.) and Ashby for their dedication to the women's basketball program through their collegiate career.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ashby, who paced all scorers with a season-high 17 points on 7-of-11 and 2-of-3 on the perimeter, also recorded fives steals, five rebounds and one assists.
- Following Ashby on the stat sheet was sophomore Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) with 13 points on as she nailed all six of her shot attempts and added six rebounds and four assists.
- Both junior Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) and freshman Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.) each tallied 10 points, while sophomore Leena Kardacz (Harleysville, Penn.) collected eight rebounds and Boyle had three blocks.
- For Mount Holyoke, Raquel Fitzpatrick led the Lyons on both ends with 11 points, nine rebounds and three assists, while Ireland Clare Kennedy had two steals, GraceAnne Woods had one block and Susan Percival also had three assists.
- Emerson finished shooting 51.4% from the field (38-74), went 8-of-21 from the perimeter (38.1%) and a perfect 3-for-3 at the free throw line.
- Mount Holyoke shot 18.8% from the hardwood (9-48) and finished 33.3% on the three point line (2-6) and went 11-of-18 from the charity stripe (61.1%).
- Emerson outdid Mount Holyoke on the boards (45-33) and in assists (31-7) along with turning 25 Lyons turnovers into 36 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson allowed Mount Holyoke to a mere three points in the opening frame and shot 63.2% and held Mount Holyoke to a 7.7 field goal percentage within the first as the Lions gained a lengthy 26-3 lead.
- Right out the gate, Emerson got its offense going and knocked down the first eight points to claim an early 8-0 lead over Mount Holyoke at 8:20 after C. Boyle put up a layup.
- Emerson ballooned its lead into double figures and carried a 19-0 cushion up to the 2:46 mark of the first before Mount Holyoke was able to register its first basket at 2:26 on a jumper from Michaela Butin.
- The Lions stretched the deficit up to 24 after another trey from C. Boyle before Raquel Fitzpatrick sank her shot at the free throw line to wrap the opening frame.
- Leading the Lions in the second stanza was Ashby, who canned eight of her 17 points and had three steals, as the Purple took a 47-10 advantage into the half.
- Mount Holyoke went 3-for-13 within the third and allowed Emerson to can 47.1% from the field and converted 50.0% from the perimeter as the Lions lead went up 66-20 to wrap the third.
- Madden paced the Lions with seven points and four rebounds within a fourth quarter that saw Emerson outscore Mount Holyoke, 21-11, as the hosts went on to cruise to the 87-61 win.
- Emerson wraps up its 2018 home schedule next Wednesday, February 14 in a 5:30 p.m. NEWMAC tilt against Wheaton (Mass.).
- Mount Holyoke returns home for NEWMAC action on Wednesday night as well and will take on Smith at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS