Score: Connecticut College 80, Emerson 51
Records: Emerson Lions (8-12, 6-7 NEWMAC) ; Connecticut College Camels (14-7, 3-5 NESCAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Tuesday, February 6, 2018
The Lead: Freshman Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) canned a team-high 12 points for the Lions as the Emerson women's basketball team were topped 80-51 by the visiting Connecticut College Camels on Tuesday night in non-conference women's basketball action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Boyle led the Lions with 12 points on 5-of-11 and added a team-high six boards and three blocks, one steal and one assist.
- Following Boyle was sophomore Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) with 10 points off the bench and an additional four boards and one steal.
- Kylie Caouette paced all scorers with 16 points on 4-of-7 from the perimeter, while Sami Ashton added 14, Casey Walsh put up 13 and Margaret Corcoran had 12.
- Corcoran also collected a team-high seven boards as Ashton had five assists and Walsh, Caouette and Nancy Coulverson each had three steals apiece.
- Emerson finished the night shooting 35.8% (19-53) with a three-point percentage of 33.3% (4-12) and went 9-of-17 from the free throw line (52.9%).
- Connecticut College concluded the game shooting 48.5% (32-66) and converted 44.4% on the perimeter (8-18) and went 61.5% from the charity line (8-13).
- The Camels topped the Lions on the glass (35-30) and in assists (21-10).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson got out to a 5-0 lead after senior Maya Savino (Killingworth, Conn.) knocked down a triple at 8:27 of the opening frame before Connecticut College answered with the next six points to take the 6-5 lead.
- Boyle canned five points over a minute span to push the Lions ahead by four (10-6), but the Camels used back to back treys from Coulverson and Walsh to square the score at 10-all with 2:50 to play.
- With 2:10 on the clock, junior Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England) drained a triple to give the hosts a three-point edge (13-10) only to see Connecticut College put up a three of its own from Caroline Pangallo to close the first at 13-all.
- The Lions used the first 2:24 of the second quarter to claim a four-point cushion (17-13) as the remainder of the quarter would be separated by no more than two.
- Emerson locked the score two times, once at 21 and again at 23, as Connecticut College went on a 8-2 spurt to go ahead by eight (33-25) with 1:21 to go in the half.
- Mairead Hynes extended the Camels advantage to nine as the Lions entered the half down by nine at 35-26.
- Connecticut College dominated the opening minutes of the third quarter and ventured into a double figure lead at 18 on 9-0 run (44-26) after Ashton converted a three-point play.
- At the 1:54 mark of the frame, the visitors were able to propel its lead into the 20s at 57-35 after Caouette canned a triple.
- Emerson was outscored 26-11 through the third quarter and entered the fourth down 61-37, but Connecticut College converted 50.0% of its shots in the fourth and was able to separate themselves in the fourth as the Lions were downed 80-51.
- Emerson continues on with non conference play and welcomes Lasell on Thursday, February 8 at 7:00 p.m.
- Connecticut College get back onto the hardwood on Friday, February 9 against Bowdoin at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS