Score: Smith College 65, Emerson College 50
Records: Emerson Lions (8-12, 6-7 NEWMAC) ; Smith Pioneers (16-5, 9-3 NEWMAC)
Location: Northampton, Mass. (Ainsworth Gym)
Date: Saturday, February 3, 2018
The Lead: Led by sophomore Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.), who canned a team-high 11 points for the Lions, the Emerson women's basketball team were unable to overcome a slow start and were topped by the Smith Pioneers, 65-50, in NEWMAC action on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Lauren Bondi led all scorers in the game with 14 points, adding four rebounds and four steals.
- Paige Marquez had a strong performance for the Pinoeers, scoring 10 points with three rebounds and three assists.
- Madden led the Lions with 11 points, five rebounds, one block, one steal, and one assist.
- Charlie Boyle was a strong performer on the defenive end, swatting three shots, grabbing four total rebounds to go along with six points.
- Rachel Davey had a strong performance off the bench, scoring nine points and adding one assist and one steal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions started the game in a shooting slump, falling behind 13-0 and ending the first period down 22-4.
- Midway through the second quarter, the Lions saw themselves down 22 points after two three pointers by Stephanie Foukaris.
- The Lions went into halftime trailing 38-16.
- In the second half, the Lions continued to fight but were unable to claw back into the lead.
- The Lions ended the game on a 12-2 run, showing their resiliency but the final score saw the Pioneers going home with a victory of 65-50.
- Emerson steps out of NEWMAC play for a pair of games, starting with Connecticut College on Tuesday, February 6 at 7:00 p.m.
- Smith kicks off its three game conference road trip with a contest at Coast Guard on Wednesday, February 7 at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS