Score: Coast Guard Bears 6, Emerson Lions 1
Pitching Decision: W - Julia Ferris (11-10) l L Neely Eddleston (14-8)
Date: May 4th, 2018
Location: Cambridge, Mass.
The Lead: The Emerson Lions fell for the second time in the NEWMAC Championships with a loss to the Coast Guard Bears.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Starting for the Lions in the circle was Neely Eddleston. Eddleston went three and a third inning, striking out one batter and allowing three runs.
- Casey Tsamis pitched one inning for the Lions, not allowing a run.
- Julia Ferris pitched all seven innings for the Bears, earning the victory. Ferris only allowed one run and struck out three batters.
- Jillian Gearin had two hits and scored the only Lions run on the day.
- The Bears outhit the Lions 10-6 over the seven inning game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions threatened first in the top of the third inning, loading the bases with one out.
- Emerson was unable to capitalize in the inning and the score remained 0-0 after two and a half innings.
- Coast Guard scored first in the bottom of the third, on an Emma Hvozdovic single for the first run. They tacked on two more with a double down the left field line, plating two more Bears and extending the lead to 3-0.
- Micaela Dix grabbed a run back for the Lions with a deep sacrifice fly to left field, plating Jillian Gearin.
- Coast Guard threatened in the bottom half of the fifth, loading the bases but were shut down by Marisa DeFranco, keeping the score 3-1 heading into the sixth inning.
- The Bears tacked on 3 insurance runs in the bottom of the inning, extending their lead to 6-1 after six innings.
- The Lions threatened in the top of the seventh, getting two runners on but were unable to grab a run, and they fell 6-1in seven innings.