Score: Babson 5, Emerson 3
Pitching Decision: W - Ali Reilly (15-4) l L - Neely Eddleston (14-7)
Records: Emerson Lions (20-13, 8-10 NEWMAC) l Babson Beavers (26-14, 13-5 NEWMAC)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (WPI Softball Field)
The Lead: The Emerson Lions Softball team fell to the Beavers of Babson College in the first round of the double-elimination tournament on Wednesday, setting up a must win against the Bears of Coast Guard on Friday.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Neely Eddleston (West Wareham, Mass.) scatted eight hits over six innings, allowing five runs with only three earned. Edlleston struck out two Beavers.
- Ali Reilly allowed three runs on nine hits for the Beavers with none earned, striking out eight.
- Alena Jones had two RBIs for the Lions with two hits.
- Jacqueline Paul had three hits and two RBIs for Babson with one run scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Babson grabbed the lead in the bottom of the first inning with a Annie Quine double and a Jacqueline Paul single to give the Beavers a 2-0 lead at the end of one.
- The Beavers added one more run in the bottom of the third, again with Jacqueline Paul bringiong home Quine on a single.
- In the top of the fifth inning, Emerson's bats came alive. Jacqueline DeFusco (East Greenwich, R.I.) led off the inning with a single.
- After two fielder's choices, A Molly Goldstein single brought home Kallista Leonardos.
- Following Goldstein was Alena Jones who doubled down the left field line, bringing home Jillian Gearin and Goldstein, tying the game at three.
- In the bottom of the sixth inning, the Beavers scored two runs to regain the lead, and were able to close it out in the top of the seventh inning.
- Following the loss, the Lions will take on the Bears of Coast Guard Academy on Friday, May 4th at 10:00AM at the MIT campus.