Game One Score: Coast Guard 11, Emerson 3 (5 innings)
Game Two Score: Emerson 11, Coast Guard 3 (5 innings)
Game One Pitching Decision: W - Julia Ferris (10-12) ; L - Marisa DeFranco (1-4)
Game Two Pitching Decision: W - Casey Tsamis (1-1) ; L - Julia Ferris (10-13)
Records: Emerson Lions (7-26, 3-15 NEWMAC) ; Coast Guard Bears (17-18, 4-14 NEWMAC)
Location: New London, Conn. (Nitchman Field)
Date: April 23, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson softball team came up with a split to wrap up its 2017 schedule in a pair of games at Coast Guard. To start off the day, Emerson dropped an 11-3 five inning setback to Coast Guard before the Lions rebounded and took down the Bears by the same score in the second game behind a combined nine RBIs from sophomore Kallista Leonardos (El Granada, Calif.) and junior Kodie Cash (Big Bear City, Calif.)
Game One: Coast Guard 11, Emerson 3 (5 innings)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson quickly grabbed the 2-0 lead in its half of the first frame
- Ferris notched two quick outs to start off the first inning before Leonardos snuck a single through the left side and came home on junior Jillian Gearin's (Hermosa Beach, Calif.) second homer of the season down that sailed down the left field line.
- In the bottom of the inning, Coast Guard answered with its own pair of runs to even the score at 2-all after Sharayah Simco smacked a two-run single up the middle to plate both Casey Cruzpi and Audrey Bartz.
- Junior Jacqueline DeFusco (East Greenwich, R.I.) batted in the go-ahead run for the Lions with a RBI single up the middle to put them ahead, 3-2, in the top of the second.
- Thanks Emma Hvozdovich's RBI double the right center gap, the Bears squared the score at 3-all and gained the 4-3 lead after Hvozdovich came home on a miscue by the catcher.
- Coast Guard collected seven runs within the fourth and fifth frames to run away with the 11-3 lead that consisted of a six-run fourth.
- Hindle started off the Bears six-run fourth with a two-RBI double into center field before Simco followed up with an RBI singled that snuck through the left side.
- Francesca Farlow continued the inning as she brought in Hindle on a tapper to short as Sara Cammusco sent single through the right side to drive in the ninth and tenth Bears runs before DeFusco got a liner into center to conclude the frame.
- Within the fifth, Hvozdovich left the yard with a homer into center field that plated the 11th and final run of the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Gearin went 1-for-2 with a homer and one run scored, while Leonardos finished 2-for-3 with a run scored and sophomore Caroline Fortuna (Higganum, Conn.) was 2-for-2 with a run scored.
- DeFranco gave up 11 runs (nine earned) on 10 hits through four innings on the mound with three walks.
- Hvozdovich powered Coast Guard at the plate and finished 3-for-4 with a single, double, home run, three runs scored and two RBIs, while Simco was 2-for-3 with one run scored and three RBIs and Cammusco and Hindle also tallied two RBIs.
- Harris allowed three Emerson runs to cross within her five inning outing on seven hits and struck out four.
Game Two: Emerson 11, Coast Guard 3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson kept Ferris' time on the mound short after they tagged her with a five-run first inning to gain the 5-0 lead over Coast Guard to start off the second game.
- DeFranco crossed the first Emerson run on Leonardos' RBI single up the middle as Cash knocked in a pair on an RBI double into left center before sophomore Katie Hill (Canton, Conn.) and junior Molly Goldstein (Ridgefield, N.J.) both notched RBI singles.
- After the Lions chased Ferris from the game, Cash launched a two-run dinger over the center field fence to push them ahead, 7-0, in the top of the second.
- Within Coast Guard's bottom of the third, the Bears were able to answer with three runs to cut Emerson's lead down to four at 7-3.
- The Bears scoring started with Hvozdovich's RBI single that sailed up the middle as their next and final pair of runs were plated on a miscue at first and a fly ball into center by Simco.
- Kylie Vaverek held Emerson scoreless over the course of the third and fourth frames until she ran into trouble within the fifth and surrendered three consecutive singles to Fortuna, DeFranco and senior Shelby Carney (North Reading, Mass.) with one out.
- With the bases juiced, Leonardos brought all the runners in as she rocketed a grand slam and 11th homer of the season into deep center to close out Emerson's scoring at 11-3.
- Tsamis locked up the 11-3 win and retired Coast Guard down in order to wrap up the second game after five innings.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Leonardos and Cash countered for a combined nine RBIs, including five from Leonardos, who finished 2-for-4 with a double, homer, two runs scored and five RBIs and Cash, who also finished 2-for-4 with a double, home run and four RBIs.
- Fortuna went 3-for-3 at the plate with a double and a run scored and five more Lions each contributed a pair of hits.
- Tsamis locked up her first win of the season within a five inning effort where she allowed three runs (two earned) on six hits while walking one and struck out one.
- Hvozdovich and Simco each brought in one run as Simco went 1-for-2, while Cammusco went 1-for-1 with a run scored and Claire Hurley and Bartz also plated one run each.
- Ferris lasted one inning and surrendered five earned runs on seven hits and walked one, while Vaverek wrapped up the final four frames and allowed six Emerson runs to cross on 11 hits with one strikeout.
- Both Emerson and Coast Guard's 2017 seasons have come to a close.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS