Score: Emerson 3, Regis (Mass.) 0 (25-20, 25-18, 25-16)
Records: Emerson Lions (9-3, 2-1 GNAC) ; Regis (Mass.) Pride (4-8, 1-3 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Thursday, March 1, 2018
The Leads: The Emerson men's volleyball captured its third consecutive victory on Thursday night and topped GNAC foe, Regis (Mass.), in straight sets with help from 12 kills from senior Nick Rusk (Fort Lauderdale, Fl.)
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Rusk led the Lions attack with an overall match best 12 kills, while sophomore Lucas Raagas (Cambridge, Mass.) was credited with a match high 26 helpers and junior Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, N.J.) served a trio of aces.
- On the defensive end for the Lions, senior Stig Regan (Kailua, Hi.) had a combined four blocks on three solo blocks and one assist and sophomore Carl D'Aguiar (Tujunga, Calif.) scooped up 19 digs.
- Both Jeff Ramos and Drew Beimel paced Regis (Mass.) with seven kills apiece and Jayson Vega racked up 22 assists.
- Brett Krahl led the defense for the Pride with three blocks and Chris Fitta had 14 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Emerson 25, Regis (Mass.) 20)
- For the entirety of the first frame, the score margin that separated Emerson and Regis (Mass.) was two as each team exchanged the lead on countless occasions.
- It was not until the closing portion of the stanza that Emerson started to break away from the visitors.
- With the 18-17 lead in the Lions' favor, the hosts collected the set's next four points and pushed themselves ahead by its biggest advantage at four (22-17).
- On a trio of errors committed by the Lions, the Pride picked up the following three of four points and inched within three (23-20).
- Three is closest the visitors would come within Emerson as the Lions grabbed the last pair of points to grab the opening 25-20 win.
SET TWO (Emerson 25, Regis (Mass.) 18)
- Much like the first frame, the second set opened with the score differential never going above two.
- The Pride grabbed the first two point lead on a 3-0 spurt behind a series of Lions mishaps (8-6) before the score was locked once again at 10-all on a Lions service error.
- Kickstarted by the go-ahead kill from Raagas, Emerson embarked on a 4-0 streak with the margin now at four (14-10) before they upped their lead to its biggest at six (19-13).
- Regis (Mass.) remained within four at 20-16 after tacking on the next three of four scores, but Emerson was able to answer with the next two points to put their advantage back at six (22-16) on a kill from Rusk.
- A service error counted for the 18th and final point that the Pride would register with a pair of swings from sophomore Diego Garcia (Honolulu, Hi.) and Piorkowski sealing the second set win.
SET THREE (Emerson 25, Regis (Mass.) 16)
- The beginning of the final stanza differed from the opening two due to Emerson grabbing a quick four-point edge over Regis (Mass.) after Risk fired over a kill (7-3).
- With an 11-8 lead over the Pride, the Lions surrendered the next four consecutive points to the visitors, putting the Pride on top for the first time at 12-11.
- Regis (Mass.)'s lead was short-lived, however, with Emerson claiming the set's next seven points and saw the margin increase to six (18-12).
- Emerson maintained a lead of seven over Regis (Mass.) before icing the sweep on an ace from sophomore Jacob DiTore (Salem, N.H.).
- Emerson takes a hiatus for spring break and returns to the court on Saturday, March 17 in a GNAC tri-match at Emmanuel (Mass.) against Wentworth and Emmanuel (Mass.) at 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- Regis (Mass.) gets back into action on Tuesday, March 13 against Emmanuel (Mass.) at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS