Score: Emerson 2, Eastern Nazarene 0
Records: Emerson Lions (4-6-1) ; Eastern Nazarene Lions (0-8)
Location: Quincy, Mass. (Veterans Memorial Stadium)
Date: Monday, October 2, 2017
The Lead: Deep into the second frame, the Emerson men's soccer team used two second-half goals from junior Joao Vieira (Rio De Janeiro, Brazil) and sophomore Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.) to lock up a 2-0 non-conference road tilt victory over the Eastern Nazarene Lions on Monday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson outshot Eastern Nazarene, 11-6, as well as holding the 7-3 advantage in corner kick opportunities.
- Eastern Nazarene were tagged with 12 infractions, while Emerson were on the end of nine.
- Vieira and Faucette each registered goals for Emerson, Vieira's being his first of the year and Faucette with his sixth.
- Starting in net for Emerson was freshman net minder David Kemp (London, England), who earned his second shutout win of the season and turned away three shots on three attempts through 90 minutes.
- Anthony Monteiro registered two of Eastern Nazarene's six shots, including one shot on goal.
- Victor Mendoza shouldered the loss for Eastern Nazarene as he allowed a pair of goals and came away with two saves on four shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson outshot Eastern Nazarene 4-2 within the opening frame, but none of those shots on both sides produced a goal as the score was in a 0-0 lock entering the half.
- Within a three minute span deep into the second half, Emerson notched two goals within the 80th and 83rd minute to lock up the 2-0 triumph.
- Vieira's first net of the year broke the scoreless tie and came on a long range shot that made its way past Mendoza to put Emerson ahead, 1-0.
- Eastern Nazarene committed an infraction within the 83rd minute that was enough to give Emerson the penalty kick opportunity as Faucette capitalized to stretch the Lions lead to 2-0.
- Emerson returns to their home field on Saturday, October 7 as they prepare to host Babson in a home NEWMAC tilt at 1:00 p.m.
- Eastern Nazarene gets back into action on Wednesday, October 4 and will travel to Becker for a non conference road contest at 4:00 p.m.
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE LIONS
• Stay updated on the Emerson men's soccer team and follow the Lions on Facebook and Instagram, as well as Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions. Also, be sure to tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!