Score: WPI 4, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (3-6-1, 0-3 NEWMAC) ; WPI Engineers (7-3, 3-0 NEWMAC)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Alumni Field)
Date: Saturday, September 30, 2017
The Lead: Backed by three second half goals by the WPI Engineers, the Emerson men's soccer team were blanked, 4-0, under the lights on Saturday night in NEWMAC mens's soccer road action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson was outshot, 29-4, by WPI as the Engineers also held the 12-4 advantage in corner kicks.
- WPI committed 10 infractions while Emerson was on the end of 12.
- Sophomore Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.) paced Emerson with two shots, including one shot on goal.
- Senior keeper Lucas Fischer (Atlanta, Ga.) came away with 12 saves in the loss and allowed four goals on 16 shots attempts within the 90 minutes.
- Matt Mulligan, Mark Calnan, Liam Setterlund and Spencer Ralphs each tallied goals for WPI with Frank Ciliberto and Ryan Stokes being credited with assists.
- Starting in net for WPI was Connor Hoeckele, who earned the win and came away with three saves through 78 minutes while Jordan Finzel finished the final 12 minutes in goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- WPI found the back of the net once within the first half and carried a 1-0 lead into halftime as Emerson was outshot 11-2 by the Engineers.
- In the 32nd minute of the opening half, Mulligan drove down the right side of the field and put the first WPI goal into the bottom left past Fischer.
- Within the second half, WPI added three more goals to their lead to put the game away at 4-0.
- Just five yards out, Ciliberto crossed a pass over to Calnan and sent the ball into the center at the 73rd minute mark to put the score at 2-0.
- The Engineers added its third goal a little over 10 minutes after its second net as Stokes crossed the ball over to Setterlund, who shot the ball past Fischer in the center of the goal.
- Ralphs sealed the Lions' fate with 30 ticks left in regulation as he drove the ball down the field and fired the fourth Engineers goal past Fischer.
- Emerson returns to the field on Monday, October 2 as they head to Eastern Nazarene for a non-conference contest at 7:30 p.m.
- WPI also steps into non-conference play next week on Tuesday, October 3 at Wentworth slated for a 7:00 p.m. start.
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE LIONS