Score: Lesley 2, Emerson
Records: Emerson Lions (3-5-1, 0-2 NEMAC) ; Lesley Lynx (3-5, 0-1 NECC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Wednesday, September 27, 2017
The Lead: Despite sophomore Gavin Faucette's (Oakland, Calif.) 30th minute game-tying goal in the first half, the Emerson men's soccer team surrendered a late second half goal to the Lesley Lynx and suffered a 2-1 setback in the 12th Annual Charles River Cup on Wednesday night in non-conference men's soccer action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson was outshot 17-7 by Lesley while both teams were an even 2-2 in corner kicks.
- The Lions were on the end of eight infractions to the Lynx's nine.
- Faucette tacked the lone goal for Emerson with freshmen James Suvak (Winchester, Mass.) and Galileo Mondol being credited with the assists.
- Senior keeper Lucas Fischer (Atlanta, Ga.) allowed a pair of nets through 90 minutes and came away with nine saves on 11 shots attempts.
- Anthony Vitta and Carter Bliss were each credited with both an assist and goal.
- Starting in net for the Lynx was James Webb, who surrendered one goal and made one save on two shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lesley and Emerson tacked goals within the first 45 minutes to put the score at 1-1 going into the half, while both teams sent up three shots apiece.
- The Lynx entered the scoring mix first and gave themselves the 1-0 lead at the 20th minute mark of the half.
- A defensive miscue in the backline allowed Vitta to collect the ball off Fischer's initial save and rolled the ball into an empty net.
- 10 minutes after Lesley grabbed the 1-0 lead, Emerson put a goal up within the 30th minute to knot the game at 1-all.
- The ball made its way from Suvak to Mondol within the box before Mondol crossed the ball along to Faucette inside the left post and fired the equalizer past the diving reach of Webb.
- In the 55th minute, Bliss carried a pass in from Vitta up the right wing and snuck the game-winning goal into the lefthand corner past Fischer.
- Up next, Emerson reenters conference action and hits the road for a NEWMAC tilt at WPI slated for a 7:00 p.m. start. on Saturday, September 30.
- Lesley gets back onto the field Saturday as well as the Lynx continue non conference play and will host Emmanuel College at 1:00 p.m.
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE LIONS