Score: Emerson 3, Newbury 2 (OT)
Records: Emerson Lions (3-3-1) ; Newbury Nighthawks (2-5)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Monday, September 18, 2017
The Lead: Clawing their way back from a 2-0 deficit, the Emerson men's soccer team tallied two second half goals and came out on the winning end thanks to freshman John Manocchia's (Narraganset, R.I.) first collegiate net in the 93rd minute, powering the Lions to a 3-2 overtime victory over the Newbury Nighthawks in non-conference action on Monday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson outshot Newbury, 16-12, with seven shots on goal to Newbury's six shots on goal.
- The Lions also held the 9-7 advantage in corner kicks, while the Purple committed 19 infractions and the Nighthawks committed 12.
- Sophomore Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.), Manocchia and an own goal by Newbury contributed to Emerson's three nets.
- Junior Paul Bou Aziz (Nice, France) picked up a pair of assists and senior Warren Backman (Spring Hill, Fl.) was credited with one.
- Making the start in net for Emerson was senior keeper Lucas Fischer (Atlanta, Ga.), who came away with four saves and allowed two goals through 100 minutes in the win.
- Nilton De Andrade produced both of Newbury's goals with the assists being credited to Alex Strafer and Joseph D'Andretti.
- Newbury net minder Jarrod Smith made four saves on Newbury's end and allowed a trio of goals on seven shot attempts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson outshot Newbury 8-7 within the first half despite entering halftime trailing by two goals.
- On a pass off from Strafer at the top of the crease on the right side, De Andrade fended off a defender to connect the first goal of the game into the bottom left corner to put Newbury up, 1-0, in the seventh minute.
- It was in the 24th minute that Emerson had an opportune chance to even the score at 1-all on a penalty kick, but Faucette's kick sailed wide past the right post.
- D'Andretti set up De Andrade for his second net of the half on a corner kick within the 27th minute that snuck into the upper righthand corner past the diving reach of Fisher to up the score to 2-0 in the Nighthawks favor.
- The Lions offense picked up the pace within the second half and used two second half goals to erase the Nighthawks 2-0 lead and put the score in a 2-all lock.
- Emerson cut their deficit down to one thanks to Backman's free kick that tipped just off the goalie and into the net at the 55th minute mark.
- With nearly five minutes left in regulation, Faucette flicked the game-tying net into the lower left hand corner past Smith at the 86th minute and sent the game into overtime.
- Backman's corner kick was headed back into the middle by Aziz, then in a scrum of players Manocchia found room to sneak the game-winning net in the 93rd minute past Smith.
- Emerson takes a five day hiatus before they take on Coast Guard in the second game of a three game home stand on Saturday, September 23 at 1:00 p.m.
- Newbury will also be in action on Saturday afternoon as well as the Nighthawks head to Becker College for its first NECC game at 12:00 p.m.
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE LIONS