Score: Clark 1, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (2-3–1, 0-1 NEWMAC) ; Clark Cougars (2-2–2, 1-0 NEWMAC)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Granger Field)
Date: Saturday, September 16, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson men's soccer team shouldered a 1-0 setback to Clark University after Sean Munroe netted the game's lone goal within the 87th minute for the Cougars to start off NEWMAC action for both programs on Saturday afternoon at Granger Field.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson was outshot 26-8 by Clark, while the Cougars also held the 9-6 advantage in corner kicks.
- Sophomore Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.) registered three shots, all shots on goal, while senior Warren Backman (Spring Hill, Fl.) tallied two shots, both on goal.
- Senior net minder Lucas Fisher (Atlanta, Ga.) allowed just one goal throughout 90 minutes of play and came away with eight saves.
- Connor McGuire was a perfect six for six in save attempts in between the pipes for Clark.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The score remained in a 0-0 lock at the end of a first half where Clark outshot Emerson, 8-2, with two shots on goal for both the Lions and Cougars.
- The second half mirror the first half in terms of scoring, but it was Clark who was able to break the scoreless tie within the 87th minute (86:59) as Munroe snuck a goal past Fisher.
- Emerson welcomes non-conference opponent, Newbury College, on Monday, September 18 for a 6:00 p.m. matchup.
- Clark remains at home come Wednesday, September 20 for a non-conference contest against Bridgewater State at 7:00 p.m.
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE LIONS