Score: Emerson 2, Emmanuel (Mass.) 1
Records: Emerson Lions (1-0-1) ; Emmanuel (Mass.) Saints (0-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Saturday, September 2, 2017
The Lead: With help of goals from sophomore Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.) and an own goal committed by Emmanuel, the Emerson men's soccer team made their way into the win column with a 2-1 triumph over the Saints in non-conference men's soccer action on Saturday night at Rotch Field.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson held the 14-9 shot advantage over Emmanuel, as well as the corner kick edge, 6-1.
- Including his goal, Faucette notched three shots along with junior Joao Vieira (Rio De Janeiro, Brazil), who had three shots on goal.
- Junior Max DeLuca (Rockland, Mass.) and senior Niko Emack-Bazelais (Cambridge, Mass.) each recorded an assist.
- Freshman netminder David Kemp (London, England) made the start for Emerson and earned his first collegiate win as he manned the net for the full 90 minutes with one save and allowed one goal on nine shots.
- Justin Wentworth recorded the lone goal for Emmanuel as Thomas Roberts was credited with the assist.
- Taking the loss for Emmanuel was Jonathan Ferrarini, who allowed two goals and came away with five saves on 14 shots through 90 minutes in between the pipes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson had their fair share of opportunities within the opening half to put themselves on the board, one coming on a free kick by junior Franco Araujo O'Neill (San Pedro, Sula, Honduras) with a little over six minutes left in the half.
- O'Neill's shot narrowly missed sneaking into the net, but sailed over the crossbar to keep the game scoreless.
- Emmanuel sent six shots up during the first 45 minutes to Emerson's seven as Kemp kept the Saints shot attempts at bay and kept the Lions in the game.
- It was in the 51st minute of the second half when Emerson finally broke the scoreless tie and gave themselves a 1-0 lead over Emmanuel.
- With a defender on his tail, DeLuca drove the ball up the right wing and crossed a pass to an open Faucette on the left side, who got Ferrarini out of position to deposit the ball into the bottom right side.
- Emerson had senior Warren Backman's (Spring Hill, Fla.) free kick opportunity headed into the net by Emmanuel within the 72nd minute as a Saints own goal extended the Lions lead to 2-0.
- The Lions held the 2-0 lead for another nine minutes until a flick from Thomas Roberts to an open Wentworth beat Kemp on his left side to bring the Saints within one at 2-1 at the 81st minute mark.
- Emerson wraps up its three game home stand next Wednesday, September 6 with a non-conference contest against Suffolk at 6:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel (Mass.) continues road action on Monday, September 4 as the Saints head to Pine Manor for a 4:00 p.m. game.
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE LIONS