Score: Babson 19, Emerson 4
Records: Emerson Lions (5-7, 0-3 NEWMAC) ; Babson Beavers (6-5, 3-0 NEWMAC)
Location: Babson Park, Mass. (MacDowell Field)
Date: Saturday, April 14, 2018
The Lead: The Emerson men's lacrosse team dropped a 19-4 decision at the hands of the Babson Beavers in NEWMAC play on Saturday afternoon and saw freshman Joe Meyers (Carmel, N.Y.) put in two goals for the Lions.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Meyers found the back of the net two times for Emerson and sophomore Austin DiPietro dominated in the X, winning 18-of-24 with an additional game high 10 ground ball pick ups.
- Junior Cameron Radenberg (Los Angeles, Calif.) was credited with three assists and Lions goalkeeper junior Bailey Kennedy (Swampscott, Mass.) came away with six saves.
- Five different Babson players tallied two goals apiece including Samuel Mishkind, Thomas Jung, Matthew MacCune, Ade Akande and Will Messner.
- Mason O'Hanlon and Jung each dished out a pair of assists, while Joseph Richard scooped four ground balls, Jack Tague led with four caused turnovers and Erik Patriquin won 5-of-10 in the face-off circle.
- Babson net minders Jordan Shapiro and Andrew Tymkiv made eight and four saves, respectively.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Babson opened the first three minutes of the game with three nets, including two from Mishkind, to take a 3-0 lead before Emerson got on the board at 5:09 on Meyers' first goal, yet Harrison Page tallied the quarter's final goal with the score at 4-1 (1:57).
- The Beavers outscored the Lions 9-1 within the second quarter with all nine goals coming from the sticks of nine different Beavers and gave the hosts a lengthy 13-2 lead at the half.
- Emerson trailed 14-2 after Akande netted the third frame's only goal late in the quarter.
- After Messner and Owen Peterson upped Babson's lead to 16-2, junior Jared Brush (Detroit, Mich.) and Meyers netted back-to-back goals to put the score at 16-4 with 7:40 on the clock in the fourth.
- The remaining five minutes saw the hosts find the back of the net three more times to ice the win.
- Emerson hosts MIT on Wednesday, April 18 at 5:00 p.m.
- Babson will also be in action on Wednesday night at Wheaton (Mass.) at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS