Score: Coast Guard 18, Emerson 6
Records: Emerson Lions (4-6, 0-4 NEWMAC) ; Coast Guard Bears (9-5, 3-2 NEWMAC)
Location: New London, Conn. (Cadet Memorial Field)
Date: April 22, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson men's lacrosse team were topped in NEWMAC action at Cadet Memorial Field by the Coast Guard Bears, 18-6, on Saturday afternoon and saw sophomore Cameron Radenberg (Los Angeles, Calif.) put in a pair of goals with one assist.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither Emerson or Coast Guard were able to find the back of the net through the first five minutes of the first quarter.
- Riley McNulty and Jack Pope dished out a pair of goals 20 seconds apart to push Coast Guard ahead, 2-0, with 10:37 to go in the quarter.
- Emerson answered with its own pair of goals from Radenberg and senior Austin Max (Nashville, Tenn.) around a goal from Cole Hudson to put the score at 3-2 with 5:51 on the clock.
- The Bears gained control of the game after they registered six consecutive goals to wrap up the first quarter that included a net by Anthony Wyler with one second on the clock.
- Freshman Paul Seguin (Norwall, Mass.) recorded the only goal on both sides at 6:04 of the second quarter with the score at 9-3.
- Within the third frame, Coast Guard spread five goals through 15 minutes that started off with a pair of goal by Pope and McNulty to put the Bears up 11-3 within the first four minutes.
- Seguin added Emerson's fourth goal with unassisted net at 9:44 before Coast Guard strung together a trio of nets to up its lead to 14-4 as sophomore Jared Brush (Grosse Pointe Park, Mi.) closed the quarter with the fifth Lions net at 1:39.
- Blaise Curtis poured in the 15th Bears goal just 44 seconds into the final quarter before Radenberg's second goal of the game was Emerson's sixth and final net at 8:43.
- Coast Guard registered three more goals from Matt Carmine, Tyler Grills and Matt Nagle to close the game with the score at 18-6.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Radenberg and Seguin each registered a pair of nets for the Lions, along with Brush and Max.
- Sophomore Fernando Gutierrez (Lancaster, Penn.) scooped up a team-high seven ground balls, while four different Lions notched one caused turnover.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Bailey Kennedy (Swampscott, Mass.) came up with 15 saves through 60 minutes in net for Emerson.
- Pope put in a game-high five goals with one assist for Coast Guard, Benner Geurtsen had three assists, Connor Ellis scooped up an overall game-high nine ground balls and five caused turnovers.
- Coast Guard saw three different goalies man the net, starting with Trey Johnson, who played the first 15 minutes with one save, Charles McAllister, who picked up the win with four saves and 30 minutes in the net, while Connor Hoehle wrapped up the fourth quarter with three saves.
- The Bears held the advantage in ground balls (42-27), within the X (15-13) and shots (48-26).
- Coast Guard converted 2-of-4 of its man up opportunities, while Emerson was blanked on its five man-up chances.
- Emerson entertains Babson Wednesday, April 26 for its 2017 home finale at 6:00 p.m.
- Coast Guard will also be in NEWMAC home action to host Mass. Maritime on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS