Overall: 10-13 (4-8 NEWMAC)
Scoreboard: Emerson 97, Clark 92 (OT) | Boston, Mass. | February 7, 2018
WPI 105, Emerson 77 | Worcester, Mass. | February 10, 2018
BOSTON - Coming off a week that saw a thrilling overtime victory and players etch their name into the Lions' record books, the Emerson men's basketball team heads into its final pair of NEWMAC slates to close the 2017-2018 season. Emerson begins the week at home and will celebrate its Senior Day against the Babson Beavers at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday night. The Lions cap off the 2017-2018 campaign with a road contest down at Coast Guard on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
A LOOK BACK ON THE WEEK
- Emerson finished last week off going 1-1 with its overall record now sitting at 10-13 and a 4-8 in the NEWMAC.
- With a little help from the game-tying triple from senior Michael Sheng (Altadena, Calif.) at the six second mark, the Lions notched the win in a 97-92 nail biter that also saw sophomore Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) tally a career-high 26 points.
- Despite being topped by WPI on Saturday, the highlight of the game game at 7:27 of the first half when junior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) canned his 1,000th point in a Lions uniform.
1,000 SHADES OF GRAY
- On Saturday afternoon at WPI, Gray canned a layup at 7:27 of the opening half and put his name in the Lions record books with his 1,000th point.
- The junior becomes the 14th Lion in men's basketball history to reach the milestone with his career total now sitting at 1,020 after a 21 point game against the Engineers.
FITZ NAMED NEWMAC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- For competition ending on February 11th, senior Corey Fitz (Los Altos, Calif.) was tabbed as the NEWMAC Men's Basketball Defensive Player of the Week.
- Fitz played a huge factor in Emerson's overtime win over Clark and canned a season-high 17 points with an additional eight rebounds, two assist, two blocks and one steal.
- On the week, Fitz put up a total of 19 points, 10 rebounds, two assists, two blocks and one steal.
REPRESENTING IN THE NEWMAC
- Through 23 games, Emerson has canned an average of 73.6 points per game to go along with a field goal percentage of 44.3% while converting 33.4% of its shots on the perimeter and are 72.3% on the free throw line.
- The Lions also pull down 36.3 rebounds per game with 15.6 assists.
- Gray continues to anchor the Lions on both ends of the ball and sits in the top five of six NEWMAC categories.
- The junior sits in second in points per game (19.8), rebounds per game (9.0), total points (455) and rebounds (206), and ranks fourth in free throw percentage (82.1%) and assists per game (4.1).
- Sheng sits atop the NEWMAC with a 89.4 charity line percentage and takes the fifth spot with 4.1 assists per game, while junior Will Lantier (Centerport, N.Y.) comes in fifth with .9 blocks per game.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
- Babson comes to Emerson on Wednesday with an overall record of 14-9 to go with a 9-3 record against NEWMAC opponents.
- The Beavers are coming off a 76-69 setback against Wheaton (Mass.) last Saturday afternoon.
- 23 games deep, Babson is canning 79.4 points per game with a 48.4 field goal percentage while also shooting 38.9% from downtown and convert 74.5% from the charity stripe.
- Babson also grabs 35.6 rebounds per contest and are credited with 15.3 assists.
- Four members of the Beavers average double-figures with Nick Comenale leading the way with 17.7 points per game and 1.7 steals.
- Following Comenale is Bradley Jacks (15.0), Brandon Johnson (12.1) and Andrew Jaworski (10.2).
- Jacks leads the way with 1.5 blocks per game, while Johnson pulls down 6.7 rebounds and Chris Lowry is credited with 5.0 assists.
- In the last meeting between Emerson and Babson back on January 24, the Beavers grabbed the 84-72 win over the Lions.
SCOUTING THE BEARS
- Coast Guard currently posts a 10-11 overall record to go along with a 2-10 record when playing NEWMAC teams and are coming off a 97-75 defeat against Clark last Saturday.
- Emerson and Coast Guard last met back on January 3 with the Lions snapping the Bears' then eight game winning streak in a 87-79 win.
- Pacing Coast Guard on the stat sheet is Noah Baldez, who leads the offense with a field goal percentage of 59.3%, 13.4 points per game and is credited with 2.7 assists.
- Patrick Witkowski follows with 16.6 points per game, while Justin Kane puts up 13.0 points, 8.9 rebounds and .5 blocks and Micah Baldez averages 10.9 points and 2.0 steals.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS