Score: Babson 78, Emerson 42
Records: Emerson Lions (4-15, 0-8 NEWMAC); Babson Beavers (18-1, 8-0 NEWMAC)
Location: Babson Park, Mass. (Staake Gymnasium)
Date: January 28, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson men's basketball team visited NEWMAC foe, Babson, on Saturday afternoon and despite a team-best 10 points from sophomore Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.), the Lions fell to the Beavers by the score of 78-42 at Stake Gymnasium.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Gray led the Lions shooting 3-for-10 from the floor and 2-for-2 on the charity stripe with a team-best 10 points, six rebounds, three assists and one block.
- Freshman Alex Mrusek (Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.) matched Gray with a team-best six rebounds.
- Bradley Jacks led the hosts with a game-high 16 points and seven rebounds, while Joe Flannery had a team-high four assists and Sam Bohmiller registered two steals.
- Emerson finished 12-for-50 in the field (24%), made 6-of-20 (30%) of its three-point attempts and were 75% (12-of-16) from the charity stripe.
- Babson shot 46.6% (27-of-58) from the floor, 30% (6-of-20) from beyond the arc and made 75% (18-for-24) of its free throw shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson trailed Babson by two at 18-16 through the midst of the opening half before the Beavers exploded on a 24-1 streak to gain control.
- The Lions were unable to register a point for 10 minutes, which allowed the Beavers to balloon their lead to 42-17 at the conclusion of the first half.
- In the first four minutes of the second frame, Emerson banged out a pair of triples to bring them to within 21 of Babson.
- Jacks and Matthew Droney drained a combined 10 consecutive points to push Babson's lead to 61-31 at the 11:53 mark of the second half.
- Emerson could not keep up with Babson and found themselves down 68-33 with 8:41 on the clock.
- The Lions were able to put up nine points through the final minutes of regulation as the Beavers ran away with the 78-42 win.
- Emerson head back to Boston on Wednesday, February 1 to host WPI in a 5:30 NEWMAC tilt.
- Babson travel to Wheaton (Mass.) on Wednesday, February 1 slated for a 7:00 p.m. start.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS