Score: Amherst 79, Emerson 62
Records: Emerson (3-3); Amherst (5-0)
Location: Amherst, Mass. (LeFrak Gymnasium)
Date: December 3, 2016
The Lead: The Emerson men's basketball team was not able to hold off a 54-point second half from top-ranked Amherst as the undefeated Purple & White handed the Lions a 79-62 non-conference loss at LeFrak Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior Michael Sheng (Altadena, Calif.) led Emerson with an game-high 19 points and was 7-17 from the field, while sophomore Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) chipped in 16 points and a game-best 10 rebounds. Freshman Ben Holding (South Dartmouth, Mass.) added 10 points off the bench, while sophomore Mac Sashin (Martha's Vineyard, Mass.) had eight points. Sashin and Sheng had seven boards apiece.
- Jayde Dawson paced Amherst with 16 points and went 6-10 from the floor, while Michael Riopel and Eric Conklin added 12 points and 7 boards apiece off the bench. John McCarthy went 5-11 for 15 points with 10 rebounds, while Reid Berman had four helpers. McCarthy and Jeff Racy each had three assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Amherst banged out an early 14-4 lead over Emerson through the first nine minutes after a trey from McCarthy and a pair of baskets from David George.
- The Lions pieced together a 6-2 streak and came within six at 16-10 after Sheng put up a layup.
- Less than three minutes later, George dished out a jumper to give the Purple & White a 23-12 edge with 4:54 remaining in the first half.
- Emerson held Amherst to two points through the final duration of the half as the Lions went 5-for-6 at the charity line. Sheng and Sashin banked a pair of layups each to square the score 25-all at intermission.
- With the score evened at 25-all going into the second half, Amherst gained ground on Emerson and banged out 54 second half points.
- The Purple & White scored on their first three possessions of the second half as a three pointer from McCarthy gave them the 34-29 lead.
- Freshman Kent Ellertson (Sudbury, Mass.) drained a jumper at the 12:06 mark to pull Emerson within seven (42-35), but three consecutive treys from Amherst extended their lead to 48-35.
- Over the next 3:16, the Purple & White went on a 14-4 run capped off by a layup from Eric Seller to give them their biggest cushion of 20 points at 62-42.
- A 10-for-12 effort at the free throw line to close out the game propelled Amherst to clinch the 79-62 triumph.
- Emerson returns home on Tuesday, December 6 and will play host to Lesley and is slated for 7:00 p.m. start.
- Amherst continues its home schedule on Tuesday, December 6 as well and will host Brandeis at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS