Score: Emerson 9, Lasell 8
Records: Emerson Lions (7-15, 1-8 NEWMAC) ; Lasell Lasers (3-13, 2-2 GNAC)
Location: Newton, Mass. (Stein Field)
Date: Thursday, April 13, 2018
The Lead: The Emerson Lions Baseball team rallied to overcome an eight run deficit to win in exciting fashion 9-8 against the Laser Lasers at rainy Stein Field.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Joey Jacobs (Concord, Mass.) led the Lions, getting on base all five times he came to the plate.
- Jacobs had three hits, three RBIs, one double, two singles, and two walks.
- Jake Mitchell (Monroe, Ohio.) earned the victory for the Lions with 4 and 2/3 innings in relief. Mitchell allowed zero runs and struck out seven batters.
- Samuel Knox (Sturbridge, Mass.) earned the save by striking out the last batter of the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lasers took the lead in the bottom of the second inning scoring one run and tacked on a second in the bottom of the third inning.
- In the bottom of the fourth inning the Lasers exploded for six runs, capped off by a Grand Slam by Junior Andre Marchesseault, putting the Lions down 8-0.
- The Lions immediately fought back, grabbing five runs int he top of the fifth inning.
- With the bases loaded, Joey Jacobs came up to bat and knocked a single off of the shortstops glove, driving in two runs.
- Following Jacobs, John Gabert (Bedford, N.H.) singled to bring in another run.
- Tim Quitadamo (Worcester, Mass.) singled as well, giving the Lions a four run inning before a Laser error brought home another run, cutting the Lions deficit to four at 8-5.
- The Lions' bats stayed hot in the top of the sixth inning, started off with an RBI single by Cam Beattie.
- Joey Jacobs singled following Beattie to drive in another run and cut the lead to one at 8-7.
- A two out single by John Gabert tied the score at 8-8.
- Tim Quitadamo drove in the final run on a fielder's choice in the top of the eighth inning to bring the final score to 9-8.
- Samuel Knox came in with two runners on and two outs in the bottom of the ninth, striking out the final battered earning the save.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS