Score: Emerson 3, Gordon 1
Records: Emerson Lions (6-11, 1-4 NEWMAC) ; Gordon Fighting Scots (7-9, 1-1 CCC)
Location: Wenham, Mass. (J. Ten White Field)
Date: Thursday, April 5, 2018
The Lead: Both freshman Ryan McCahan (San Jose, Calif.) and senior Tim Quitadamo (Worcester, Mass.) put up 2-for-4 efforts at the plate for the Emerson baseball team as the Lions locked up the 3-1 non conference win over Gordon behind Schwartz's four hit, one run outing through eight innings.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
IN THE BOX
- McCahan and Quitadamo each finished 2-for-4 in the box with McCahan plating one run with an RBI and Quitadamo scoring a run.
- Sophomore Joe Cuccio (Jefferson, N.J.) had one RBI while freshman John Gabert (Bedford, N.H.) and junior Ethan Young (Amherst, Mass.) paced the Lions on the bags with one stolen bag each.
- John Lagerfelt had a 2-for-4 day at the plate for Gordon and Christian Hodge scored the hosts' lone run, while Addison Tarr had a game-best two stolen bases.
ON THE MOUND
- Schwartz pitched an eight inning gem and surrendered just one run on four hits while he walked three with five strikeouts as Fox wrapped up the win with three strikeouts through four batters faced and gave up just one hit.
- Gadaleta was tagged with the loss for Gordon after allowing runs to cross on six hits to go along with two punch outs and one walk through three innings with Matt Moffat surrendering one run on one hit.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Unable to plate a run in the first two innings, Emerson began its scoring within the top of third frame to grab the 2-0 lead over Gordon.
- Gadaleta surrendered the game's first run on McCahan's RBI single and plated Quitadamo that was quickly followed by Cuccio sneaking his RBI single between the shortstop and third baseman.
- The Lions capitalized on a costly error committed by the Fighting Scots' catcher and allowed Gabert to make his way home from third.
- Gordon got its lone run in the home half of the ninth off of Fox on an infield single to third from the bat of Lagerfeldt with Fox settling down and sending the next two batters down on strikes to ice the win.
- Emerson jumps back into NEWMAC action on Friday, April 6 to begin a three-game weekend series with MIT starting with a single game on Friday afternoon at 3:30 p.m.
- Gordon also begins conference play with a single game meeting with Curry on Saturday, April 7 at 12:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS